It is my second visit in Copenhagen and, despite the weather, it was a very lovely trip indeed.
After all – we used to approx 20 minutes away from the city centre. Although I am a fan of staying in suburbs, Copenhagen belongs to a group of smaller cities and it appeared much better to be able to walk to the most beautiful sights.
This time we stayed at Best Western – a cozy and charming hotel, located in the cultural center of Copenhagen not far from the Royal Theater, the Opera and Nyhavn. The Best Western Plus Hotel City Copenhagen is newly renovated and decorated in a traditional Danish way, which makes it not only cozy, but very stylish.
The breakfast was delicious and there was a lot to choose from – from the famous Danish pastry ( I really recommend this option! So fresh and tasty :)) to the intercontinental choice of scrambled eggs, bacon and oats. A good start gives you the energy boost you certainly need in Copenhagen as it will probably be raining. BUT…
…this is the sort of Scandi feel we are all after.
Recommended for :
- couples traveling to Copenhagen
- short weekend trips planners
- small families with children
- elderly travelers – the hotel is quiet despite its location
Copenhagen is possible to be explored in just one day! There are plenty of opportunities to not only find out quite a lot about Denmark, but also listen to some interesting Danish parables.
We have managed to see :
- Nyhavn (Harbor) street and the channel is where our trip started. To see as much as you can in 1 day take a boat ride ( covered boat!) for around 40 DKK or a combined ticket for the bus + boat for 230 DKK
- Thanks to Hop on Hop off bus you will be able to see everything ( really!) and go off to experience Little Mermaid for the feel of the iconic landmarks
- Round Tower for the views! There is a cute little student-like coffee shop called ‘Paludan’s Book and Coffee’ – worth walking in for a quick refreshment 🙂
- Christiania District, which is a Freetown located on the ‘other side of the channel’. I have never seen anything like that before, it seems like they are all a big family taking care of their freedom. We bought a fridge magnet and walked around for some time. Pictures not allowed there 🙁
- From the bus you will be able to hear stories about : the majority of museums, Opera House, Roseborg Castle, Tivoli Gardens – and you can go off wherever you can.
What is also a very imprtant feature that the airport is located around 20 minutes from the city center, and even in the peak hour is easily accessible by the tube!
Food and beverages from Copenhagen?
- definitely Carlsberg
- Danish pancakes, available from the foodtrucks all over the city
- cheese platter
- so-called open faced sandwiches
Allow yoursefl some time to just spend at a Danish bakery or coffee shop – I keep saying it is the best way to get to know the city and its residents.